Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Soaking up summer

When I think of my summers as a little girl, I have strong memories of playing on our backyard swingset. Swinging was (and still is) calming, mesmorizing, and smile-generating. To this day, I love to sit on a swing, look up at the sky, and listen to the birds chirp...my boys seem to appreciate the same things. They both love to swing fast and high, but are equally fond of gently swaying back and forth, and absorbing the surrounding sights and sounds.

Xavier got a new swing for his birthday in April. Its a "boat swing", and is a bit like a small version of a hammock. It can swing both forward-backward and sideways. The boys can sit in it or lay down. To say the very least, it is a big hit.

Xavier is strong enough now to sit up in it, if we take care to swing it slowly.

Xavier and Bennett love that they can both get in at the same time. Xavier claps when Ben climbs in with him. Today, I pushed them for at least 30 minutes, and they giggled for most of that time.




Xavier and I like to lay on a blanket and watch the clouds go by:

Extreme happy closeups taken while swinging:



Ben's new trick:

and the dismount:

I don't have a picture of it, but he stuck the landing and earned a perfect 10.


Nick was making Ben laugh, making silly faces at him as he got close to him. This is the face I call "the bald eagle." Remember (I'm dating myself here) the bald eagle from The Muppet Show? Nick does a perfect impression.
For a while now, I've not been able to put my finger on what Ben's giggle reminds me of. A few weeks ago, I had an 'ah-ha!' moment. Its Snoopy's laugh. He also crys like Snoopy. Its hilarious. Ben has a very soft voice, including his laugh and cry. He's so quiet, I can rarely hear what he's saying to me when we're driving in the car. His vocal cords were slightly damaged from being intubated for so long as a baby (62 days!). He's such a strong, resilient kid, I forget sometimes what he's overcome medically and developmentally. Bennett is nothing short of a miracle, for whom I will be forever thankful.

No comments: